We all make mistakes, right? Some are minor ones with small consequences, while others may have lifetime repercussions. And this can affect us to the point where we always ruminate about it. We tend to remain in that place where we think we should have or shouldn’t have taken that decision. But life still goes on. And for us to be emotionally and mentally healthy, it is important to forgive ourselves. So, how do we do that?
- The first step is to go to God. Acknowledge your mistake to Him and pour out all your feelings and thoughts to Him. He understands what you’ve been through and how things are. He loves you deeply and cares for you, no matter what. 1 Peter 5:7 (NLT) says, “give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you.” So, you can be honest and real with God. You don’t need to be perfect to go before Him. Just be yourself and allow all your emotions to flow without repressing them. You can then ask God to forgive you for your mistakes and fill you with His peace. 1 John 1:9 (NLT) says that if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. And He will.
- Forgive yourself. You need to forgive your own mistakes. You can talk to yourself by saying, “you have made a mistake, and now I forgive you.” Let go of all the anger, guilt, shame, and sadness. Be kind to yourself because you are worthy of forgiveness. It may take some time, so when the thoughts come back again you will need to remind yourself that you have been forgiven.
- Commit the situation to God. Ask Him for wisdom, discernment, and revelation for that particular situation. He will guide you.
- Learn from your mistakes and move on. Think of the situation as objectively as possible and understand where you blew up and why. Reflect on your actions, ask God to reveal to you the real reasons behind. Do not ignore the problem or use denial to hide. Be honest with yourself. This step is essential for your growth. You will become a better you.
- Trust God for your future. Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT) says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Don’t let your heart be troubled, believe, and trust God. There is hope.
God will never let us down when we go to Him. And, He loves us no matter what.