I love Lauren Daigle’s song, “You Say.” The lyrics start with ‘l keep fighting voices in my mind that say I’m not enough, every single lie that tells me I will never measure up…’ I think that it describes perfectly well what we may feel from time to time. In this world of competition and social media, it is so easy to believe that we are falling short on something and feeling that we are not good enough. So, we work harder, try to perform better, achieve more, or enroll in more activities to keep up with current trends. But deep down, that nagging feeling remains.
So, how to overcome this feeling?
- First of all, it is essential to realize that your worth comes from God. Ephesians 2: 10 (NLT) says that you are God’s masterpiece. He has created you anew in Christ Jesus, so you can do the good things he planned for you long ago. So, you are valuable. You have been beautifully and wonderfully made. And He created you on purpose to do good things. You are significant. And remember that God loves you unconditionally, as in Jeremiah 31:3 (NLT) He says, “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love, I have drawn you to myself.” He even sent His only son Jesus to die for your sins. This is the most extraordinary proof of His love for you. You are of great value in His eyes.
- Accept the fact that there will always be someone more beautiful, more talented, and more successful than you. This is reality. But don’t even try to start comparing or competing. Life is not about being better than others but about being yourself, growing, finding your real purpose, and living life to the fullest. So, ask yourself, “what do I like to do?”, “what do I do well?”. Explore new things. You will discover more about who you are and about your strengths.
- Nobody is perfect, and nobody has a perfect life. Every person has weaknesses and problems in their own different ways. So, it is important to accept where you are in your own journey. It is ok to make mistakes. Learn from them. Then, do your best and leave the rest to God. Let go of the negative thoughts that come up. Focus your mind on the word of God that says that you were made in an amazing and wonderful way. Psalm 139:14. And trust God to guide you on the best pathway for your life.
- Celebrate small successes. Make a list of all the things you tried and succeeded, whether it is helping a friend, trying a new recipe, or having self-control in a particular situation. It enables you to realize that you are accomplishing something good in your everyday life. You matter.
- Choose carefully the people you spend most of your time with. They influence your life. So, ask yourself how you feel when you are with them. Do you feel loved and accepted? Can you genuinely be yourself without being judged? Do you feel encouraged? Do you feel inspired to take up new challenges? Do you feel respected for your ideas and opinions? Can you say no without feeling guilty? Do you feel more positive? Energized? Motivated to move forward? Choosing the right persons will touch your lives in a way that you will be able to make the right choices, become a better person, and move towards your purpose in life.
So, remember that you have been created on purpose for a purpose. You are enough.